[BioC] Blurriness assesment of scanner TIFF files

w.huber at dkfz-heidelberg.de w.huber at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Jan 20 10:45:37 MET 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Edo Plantinga wrote:
> Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I am using a windows system, and
> rimage does not support this. Also, Imagemagick does not correctly open the
> files that I have.
> Some of my collegues have some Matlab experience, however, so I will ask
> them for help. Do you happen to have some Matlab code that does the trick
> that I am looking for?
> Kind regards,
> Edo Plantinga

Hi Edo,

you can use the matlab function "imread" to read TIFF files. I have no
code or experience for blurriness assessment. Maybe start by FFT and look
at the high frequency end of the spectrum? Or look at the norm of the
gradient field?

Imagemagick for me is able to convert TIFF into all sorts of formats,
for example into PGM (portable imagemaps [1]). 8-bit binary PGM is read by
the function read.pnm in the package pixmap, for 16-bit you would need to
adapt the function.

[1] http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/doc/pgm.html

Best wishes
Wolfgang