[BioC] Proper pooling design

YUK FAI LEUNG yfleung at mcb.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 20 23:47:04 MET 2004

Hi there,

I am designing a pilot microarray study on embryoic developmental mutant
using affy platform. The comparison itself is very simple, the mutant vs
normal at one time point. Due to various reasons (mostly funding and
limited amount of tissue), I can't start with the "ideal" approach in
which each sample is hybridized to an individual chip.

Since I can easily rear a lot of animals, it seems that pooling is the
only choice for the pilot study. However I am not sure what is the best
way to allocate the pooled samples to each chip. For example if I want
to do 3 array replicates each for the mutant and control. Is it better
to pool enough samples for 3 arrays and then separate the pooled sample
in 3 portions for hybridization or just pool different individual
samples for different replicates?

It seems to me that the first way is like getting a group expression
average with accessment of technical variation, while the second
approach can also provide some sort of evalution of biological
variation, abeit an averaged one by the pooling. I suspect the latter
approach is better, and would love to know the suggestions from you.

Thanks!

Fai

--
Yuk Fai Leung
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology
email: yfleung at mcb.harvard.edu; yfleung at genomicshome.com