[BioC] limma: out of bounds error

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Wed Jan 21 02:13:35 MET 2004

Dear Juerg,

The problem that you mention arises from the fact that SMD does not store
blank spots, i.e., rows corresponding to blank spots are removed from the
database. Limma doesn't cope with this because it assumes complete arrays.
On the other hand, the marrayNorm package does have a facility to handle
this using the 'subset' slot of the marrayRaw object. Beware though that if
you use marrayNorm, bugs in the treatment of weights (FLAGs) means that you
will have to normalize your arrays one at a time.

Thanks for forwarding the code fix. I'm not sure that the simple fix that
you've implemented will always allocate spots to the correct tip groups
though. I have been discussing with Jean Yang how to bring the the 'subset'
concept into limma, but it is some way off.

Gordon