[BioC] Re: [Fwd: Bioc Book Chapter] (Gordon K Smyth) Bioconductor Digest, Vol 11, Issue 38

Christopher Wilkinson Christopher.Wilkinson at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Jan 29 00:27:39 MET 2004

Regarding the limma vs marray issue, I would support the choice of
limma.

I'm currently analysing data from a 2 colour long oligo (CompuGen M22k)
experiment using 126 slides so I thought I'd share my experiences over
the last few months.

I've played around with both limma and marray packages for data checking
and normalisation and have found that both can do pretty much the same
thing. My bias is towards limma since I'm interested in the linear
modelling approach (post norm) and limma is under active development (at
least more than I perceive marray is).

Things I've used marray for is to get diagnostic plots (eg maRawPlots
and maDiagPlots) but I find these two cluttered so I've gone to my own
functions to produce summary plots (some of which call limma functions).
I've also had some slides with large spatial biases (eg well defined
regions of very strong dye bias over 20-50% of the array) so I've been
looking at 2D spatial norm and scale normalisation within array. With
regards to 2D spatial norm, I've actually taken the limma code for
print-tip-loess and modified it to do a loess on M~SpotRow*SpotColumn*A
(ie within grid location and intensity are predictor variables) which
appears to work quite well.

So in summary I've found having both packages useful (since its easy to
convert data between marray and limma classes, as well as take the code
from one package and convert it to work on data in the other format).
However given the overlap, I do think it would be beneficial to merge
the two packages into a single package, which at this stage I think
should be limma.

Cheers
Chris

--
Dr Chris Wilkinson

Research Officer (Bioinformatics)        | Visiting Research Fellow
Child Health Research Institute (CHRI)   | Microarray Analysis Group
7th floor, Clarence Rieger Building      | Room 121
Women's and Children's Hospital          | School of Applied Mathematics
72 King William Rd, North Adelaide, 5006 | The University of Adelaide,5005

Math's Office (Room 121)        Ph: 8303 3714
CHRI   Office (2nd floor)       Ph: 8161 6363

Christopher.Wilkinson at adelaide.edu.au

http://mag.maths.adelaide.edu.au/crwilkinson.html

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 21:47, bioconductor-request at stat.math.ethz.ch
wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:59:38 +1100 (EST)
> From: "Gordon K Smyth" <smyth at wehi.EDU.AU>
> Subject: [BioC] [Fwd: Bioc Book Chapter]
> To: <bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch>

as a whole. The main point is that if Bioconductor is willing to