[BioC] Re: trouble installing "affy" package -- FIX

Jeffrey Chang jeffrey.chang at duke.edu
Fri Jan 30 20:50:29 MET 2004

Robert Gentleman and I traced this problem to an incorrectly configured
R_HOME_DIR variable in the R shell script.  I believe this was caused
by a faulty R Portfile (port revision 1) in DarwinPorts for OS X and
will affect anyone who has installed R this way.

I installed R 1.8.1 using DarwinPorts, which:
1) downloads and builds R
2) installs it into a "destroot" temporary directory
3) copies the "destroot" files into /opt/local

R works using two shell files called "R" installed in /opt/local/bin/R
and /opt/local/lib/R/bin/R .  Both of those shell files contain a
R_HOME_DIR variable that (among other things) tells R where to find the
installed libraries.  In /opt/local/bin/R, R_HOME_DIR is correctly set
to /opt/local/lib/R .  However, in /opt/local/lib/R/bin/R, R_HOME_DIR
was incorrectly set to destroot/opt/local/lib/R.

The consequence of this is that R would at different points access two
different sets of libraries.  The installer would install libraries
into the /opt/local directory, and then be unable to find the library
in "destroot".

The fix is to make sure the R_HOME_DIR is set correctly (in my case,
/opt/local/lib/R) in both /opt/local/bin/R and /opt/local/lib/R/bin/R.

I will also forward an email to the port maintainer who can update this
for future releases.

Thanks much to Robert and everyone else who wrote it with advice and
suggestions.

Jeff