[BioC] mtry in randomForest

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Fri Jul 2 15:34:29 CEST 2004

The problem is that the importance measure in randomForest is based on
random permutations of the data, so even with the same mtry, multiple runs
of randomForest will give you different importance measures, and thus
rankings.  This is especially true for small number of samples.  People have
tried using 10000-30000 or even more trees to get a more stable ranking of
importance measures in RF.

HTH,
Andy