[BioC] OT: cell lines and tissues

Stefano Calza stecalza at tiscali.it
Tue Jul 6 21:56:09 CEST 2004

Hi everybody.

This is definitely Off-Topic, but I'd like to have an opinion from the many biologist (but not only!) that populate the list, about the following problem:
A group of biologists is willing to study gene expression in ovarian cancer tissues relative to normal ones. As the normal ovarian epithelium is single layer, it's quite hard to get enough RNA. So
they are actually going to compare normal ovarian cell lines grown in vitro versus patological tissues. I feel a bit confused about this. Wouldn't be better to amplify the RNA from normal
tissues? Any other options?

Any insight will be very appreciated.

TIA,
Stefano