[BioC] short time-course design. Any suggestion?

Stefano Calza stecalza at tiscali.it
Wed Jul 21 13:56:57 CEST 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:00:37PM +0100, Adaikalavan Ramasamy wrote:
> a) Are you interested in the difference in cell lines over times OR
> b) are you treating the different cell lines as biological replicates
>
> Assuming the latter, you have a oneway anova with time as a main factor
> and 3 replicates at each time point.

That's right. Sorry, my description was not that clear. This is what I did, an ANOVA with time as a main factor, but assuming a correlation structure among observations

> I would suggest you try RMA and GC-RMA on the whole dataset first and
> truncating your list later. The truncation at step 2 ignores more than
> 90% of the genes and your number of true positives will be quite low.

1) Using all the genes (or most of the genes after a bit of unspecified filtering such as on the lowest expression value across samples and on the CV) brings to such a big number of comparison that
after correction none appears to be significant. Nevertheless I could use this as an exploratory approach, i.e. to rank genes.

2) Prefiltering using an "a priori" biological framework would mean (but please correct me if I'm wrong) asking a different question: among those genes related to some biological process I'm interested
in, which are actually differentially expressed?

Why shall I use RMA? E.g. with a very naive approach (i.e. computing F statistics without considering correlation among observations with arrayMagic = faster!) I get that mas5 values gives more higher F
values (a simple qqplot can help). Also the overall analysis doesn't improve using rma.
I know of affycomp but I never used it. I'll try.

Thanks.

Ste