[BioC] Affymetrix cdf-package question

Jeff Gentry jgentry at jimmy.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 23 19:27:07 CEST 2004

> please let me know.) My question is this. When Bioconductor tries to
> install CDF package, it tries to do it globally, I mean it requires
> some root-level security privilege to install the necessary CDF
> package. Is there any way that this can be done locally, that is make
> Bioconductor install the necessary CDF package in a user's local
> directory and fetch gene-information from it, which will not require
> root-level privilege?

I'm not 100% sure of exactly how they handle things in affy to call the
reposTools functions but I believe that the way you want
to go about this is to put the directory that you wish to use
.libPaths() to specify the directory you want the pacakges installed into.

If you call '.libPaths(<dir>)', that will place the new directory in the
front of your library path setting, and I believe that affy is taking the
first one in that vector.

-J