[BioC] normalisation for universal reference in 2 channel arrays

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Thu Jul 29 00:59:56 CEST 2004

At 06:02 AM 29/07/2004, Peter Wilkinson wrote:
>I would like to know some alternative to normalization for 2 channel
>experiments against universal, where samples may have been hybridized in
>seperate batches where the universal RNA has changed lot (should not have
>happened but it did). What is the same between the batches is that what
>looks like up-regulated compared to the universal iis upr-egulated, and
>what is down-regulated looks down-regulated. The difference is that the
>down-regulated (and not in the up), so so much more down-regulated in one
>of the batches. It looks like to be that the universal has more mRNA
>abundance in one batch over the other.

Gquantile won't help because it doesn't change the M-values. (It is
intended for use with single channel analyses.) You could try 'quantile' or
'scale' normalization (not both) but there are no magic bullets in a
situation like this. If you use 'scale normalization, you should always do
within-array normalization first. If you use 'quantile' normalization, the
within-array normalization step is optional.

Gordon