[BioC] Swirl Data Results

Rob Cribbie cribbie at criblab.yorku.ca
Tue Jun 1 20:37:39 CEST 2004

I am a newcomer to DNA microarrays and I have recently been playing
around with the swirl dataset that is available through the bioconductor
R package.

I have seen some results regarding the swirl data set on the internet
that have used one-sample empirical bayes moderated t-tests and the
results seem to come out as expected (i.e. the most differentially
expressed genes, bmp2 and dlx3, show up as the most differentially
expressed).

I have also tried performing paired t-tests on the data (paired since
they share the same slide) after extracting the logR and logG values
from the normalized M and A values, but I get very different results.
Very few genes are differentially expressed with FDR control, and the
top genes are no longer the bmp2 and dlx3 genes. Has anyone else tried
doing paired t-tests on this data?

The commands I used were:

swirlnorm<-maNorm(swirl,norm="s")
M<-maM(swirlnorm)
A<-maA(swirlnorm)
logG<-(2*A-M)/2
logR<-(2*A+M)/2
newswirl<-cbind(logR[,1], logG[,1], logR[,2], logG[,2], logR[,3],
logG[,3], logR[,4], logG[,4])
classlabel<-c(1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1)
tstat<-mt.teststat(newswirl,classlabel,test="pairt", nonpara='"n")
rawp<-2*(1-pt(abs(tstat),3))
result<-mt.rawp2adjp(rawp,proc=c("Bonferroni", "BH")
resultp<-mt.reject(result$adjp,seq(0,1,0.05))$r
resultp

Rob.