[BioC] negative expression values

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 11:45:54 CEST 2004

Hi Arne

There are several approaches:

1) create a positive lower threshold below which you do not believe
anything is being expressed.  Some people use 1, others use 50, but
essentially you do not "shift" your distribtion, you simply re-set all
values below a threshold to that threshold

2) perform a linear shift of the distribution - essentially, one takes
the lowest value and adds this to every value in the distribution.

3) perform a slightly more intelligent shift - I believe there are some
functions in the R library vsn, but I have never used them.  These
result in an avoidance of zero or negative values (I think)

4) perform kooperberg background correction, which is available in the
limma package.  This is a published method which estimates low
expression values from negative numbers using some kind of Bayesian
magic ;-)

Thanks
Mick