[BioC] Re: Clustering in R

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 17 18:07:47 CEST 2004

Thanks a lot, Michael!

I cc to R-help, where this question really belongs {as the
'Subject' suggests itself...} -- please drop 'bioconductor' from
CC'ing further replies.

    michael> OK, admittedly it is not incredibly simple, but it
    michael> is not *that* difficult.

    michael> If you are familiar with R, it should take you an
    michael> hour or two; if unfamiliar, perhaps a day or two.

    michael> The commands you want (and need to read the help on) are:

    michael> hclust
    michael> plclust
    michael> cutree

and I would add  identify.hclust()   {and rect.hclust()}
a very neat but not known / used enough function
a link to which I have just added to the help(hclust) page.
Look at its examples {not with example() since they are
"dontrun"} correcting the extraneous "." in the last (and
coolest!) example!

    michael> dendrogram
    michael> as.dendrogram
    michael> heatmap

where you use "dendrogram"s produced from "hclust" objects via
as.dendrogram(<hc-obj>) or also "twins" objects produced from
package cluster's agnes() or diana() via
 as.dendrogram(as.hclust( <twins-obj> ) )

help(dendrogram)  also mentions
"[[" (and shows examples) and cut() for cutting dendrograms and shows
how you can depict dendrograms into its parts.

    michael> With intelligent use of hclust -> cutree -> subsetting -> hclust
    michael> (in that order) you will be able to drill down
    michael> into your dendrogram and create sub-trees - until
    michael> you get to the level where you can see your gene
    michael> names.

or also
   hclust -> as.dendrogram -> cut -> ..
			   -> [[  ->

Note that there also is  reorder.dendrogram() for reordering
dendrogram nodes ``sensibly'' --- something that heatmap() does,
but you can play with quite a bit.
Further, note Catherine Hurley's  "gclus" package which
orders/reorders 'hclust' objects directly, but with a more
interesting algorithm.

Note that I'd strongly recommend to use R 1.9.1 beta for these,
since I know which bugs in the dendrogram code I have fixed
since R 1.9.0...

    michael> An important message to take home here is that if
    michael> you have 14000 genes and therefore 14000 labels,
    michael> it's going to be difficult to display your tree in
    michael> ANY software, including the expensive commercial products.

not showing the labels and using identify.hclust() and the
command line to extract the indices of observations in
clusters (and subclusters) and visualize them in other, non-dendrogram plots,
might well be feasible.

    michael> Let me know how you get on

    michael> Thanks
    michael> Mick

    michael> -----Original Message-----
    michael> From: wmak at brandeisedu [mailto:wmak at brandeis.edu]
    michael> Sent: 16 June 2004 21:26
    michael> To: bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch
    michael> Subject: [BioC] Clustering in R