[BioC] win 64bit and general BioC computing power?

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Thu Jun 17 18:08:10 CEST 2004

If you need RMA, GCRMA and other pre-processing tools done once only
(hopefully), it might be just worthwhile asking someone with Unix/Linux
servers to do this for you.

It might be also useful for you to have an account on *nix. Using R on
Unix is very similar to using it on Windows, so not a steep learning
curve. You can even login into your account from Windows using Xwindows
tools like ssh or Exceed. This way you have access to both operating
systems at the same time.

In a years time, memory will be cheaper and GCRMA may be rewritten (like
RMA was) more efficiently. I would be rather buy a reasonable machine
now and add 1 GB memory in a years time or connect to *nix than buy a
super-expensive machine now.