[BioC] Re: L-BFGS-B needs finite values of fn error in vsn package

Wolfgang Huber w.huber at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Fri Jun 18 13:12:33 CEST 2004

Hi Isaac,

vsn uses a maximum-likelihood method for the parameter estimation, and
since the log-likelihood is not quadratic, it uses the numeric optimizer
"L-BFGS-B". As far as I can see, the log-likelihood is concave, i.e. has
only one maximum, for practically all data sets. But for odd data sets
and with bad start values, the numeric optimizer can run off into
nirwana before finding the maximum. That seems to happen in your case.

Can you try the following:

1. Look at scatterplots of the probe intensities between all (or at
least many) pairs of chips, and see if there's anything odd:
for(i in 2:24)
   for (j in 1:(i-1)) {
     plot(exprs(data)[, c(i,j)], pch=".", main=paste(i,j))
     locator(n=1)
   }

2. Try to use different (non-default) start parameters, e.g.

pstart <- array(c(rep(0, 24), rep(1,24)), dim=c(1,24,2))
vsn.data <- expresso(data,
              normalize.method="vsn",
              normalize.param(list(pstart=pstart)),
              bg.correct=FALSE,
              pmcorrect.method="pmonly",
              summary.method="medianpolish")

3. For a better diagnosis, I would have to lok at your data. I will be
off email for the next two weeks, but please let me know after that
(July) - I would be interested in making vsn more robust e.g. by having
a smarter guess at the start parameters.

Best wishes
  Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Huber