RMA vs. MAS 5.0 fold change compression (was Re: [BioC] RMA vs VSN)

Rafael Irizarry ririzarr at jhsph.edu
Tue Jun 22 02:48:58 CEST 2004

rma sacrifices accuracy for its gains in precission. this has two
consequences:

1- for a fixed false positive rate, RMA tends to have many more true
positives
2- to attain the same true positive rate as with mas 5.0 you need to
lower the fold-change cut-off (which is arbitrary anyway). e.g. if you
are using fold change>2 as your cut-off and RMA gives lists that you
think are too small,  then use fold change > 1.5.

this has more to do with background correction than normalization. it
is discussed in some detail in the gcrma paper appearing in JASA soon;

http://www.bepress.com/jhubiostat/paper1