[BioC] ANOVA, SAM and Limma

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Fri Jun 25 19:42:14 CEST 2004

Dear Stephen,

1. I did one simulation for each of 6 conditions which were 3 levels of
differential expression and 2 error distributions.  That is why I say this
is "heuristic".

2. Limma is gene-by-gene ANOVA with an adjusted denominator.  Ordinary
ANOVA had a higher false positive and false negative rate (as determined
from the simulation) than limma or SAM even after using the FDR adjustment.

3. The ordinary ANOVA was poor.  Limma and SAM "use all the genes" in the
shrinkage estimate.  They were more powerful in my small study than
ordinary ANOVA, but they missed most of the differentially expressing genes.

4. I am not sure I understand your comment about q-values.  The estimate of
pi_0 was pretty good in all cases, including using the p-values from the
ANOVA F-test.  I then selected q<.01 and looked that the false positive and
false negative rate for genes with q<.01.  When SAM came up with a smaller
list of genes than limma, I compared the q-values and found that SAM with
q<.01 was comparable Limma with a smaller value of q.  I then looked at the
number of false positives and false negatives.

Lastly, I hope that I was clear that I was analyzing a completely
randomized one-way design.  I used the default settings for one-way ANOVA
in all of the software.  For limma, this means that I use the Helmert
contrasts to obtain the ordinary and eBayes ANOVA F-tests.

--Naomi