[BioC] Two-color factorial design, common reference

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Sat Jun 26 03:26:26 CEST 2004

At 02:19 AM 26/06/2004, Sean Davis wrote:
>Sorry for another anova-like question, but I have a set of two-color
>experiments with two variables (time (4 and 8 hours) and treatment(two
>levels)), but they are hybed to a common reference (untreated line).  Does
>this design look correct (for use in limma)?

No it's not.

Hint: you can treat your common reference design exactly as if it was an
affy experiment. See Sections 7.2 and 7.3 of the Limma User's Guide. This
is a 2x2 factorial experiment. Go back through the archives of this list
for answers on affy factorial experiments.

One thing to remember: for an affy or common reference experiment, the
number of columns in the design matrix is equal to the number of distinct
groups in your experiment. You have 4 groups.

Gordon