[BioC] import data for limma analysis

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Mon Mar 1 23:16:50 MET 2004

At 11:20 PM 1/03/2004, Tineke Casneuf wrote:
>This question may have been asked, but I can't find the asnwer on the
>mail archive. I am trying to find a way to identify differentially
>expressed genes; I was recommended to use limma. I read in the manual
>that I can use data analysed with other packages (like affy and others)
>or that I can import data from a software program, like ArrayVision,
>ImageGene, GenePix and others.
>
>But I have Affymetrix data that are already normalised (with Affy
>software);

Just import your data into R using read.table() etc. All you need is a
matrix of log-expression values.

>I have also calculated averages (for the replicates) and
>ratios (between experiments and controls).

No one can help you very much if you've already summarized your data in
this way. You've effectively already done your own analysis. If you want
help from limma or other analysis packages, you need to go back to the
original normalized data as it came out of the MAS program.

Gordon