[BioC] Selection of quantitative differences b/w two M vs A plots after rma

Anthony Bosco anthonyb at ichr.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 4 01:38:13 MET 2004

Hi.

In my experiments I have control and stimulated cell cultures for
individuals with and without disease (usually no replicates, but
sometimes up to 3 replicates).

Therefore I have two M vs A plots, control verses stimulus for the
disease group, and control verses stimulus for the group with no
disease.

For each group, I analyse Affy data with rma and generate M vs A plots.

I define everything with M value > 0.45 (in a 2 chip comparison) as
differentially expressed, but some genes are differentially expressed
in the disease and no disease groups, but at a much higher level in
one of the groups.

Currently since I define the noise as m = 0.45, I just simply
subtract the m values for any gene which is differentially expressed
in both M vs A plots, and if the difference is greater than 0.45 I
call that different between both groups.

1) Is this correct?

2) Does any one know how many false positives to expect in two chip
comparisons with Affy chips

Regards

Anthony

Anthony Bosco - Cell Biology Research Assistant

Institute for Child Health Research
(Company Limited by Guarantee ACN 009 278 755)
Subiaco, Western Australia, 6008

Ph 61 8 9489  , Fax 61 8 9489 7700
email anthonyb at ichr.uwa.edu.au