[BioC] Looking for an opinion about Affymetrix signals

Remo Sanges sanges at biogem.it
Thu Mar 11 16:06:21 MET 2004

Hi Jim,

thanks for your reply, you are a 'reference' in this and other
microarray related lists!

However my doubts regard  the idea of filtering out probes
before statistical testing in order to reduce the potentially false
positives.

Usually after filtering genes on the basis of their A/P calls,
  I filter out the genes without relevant fold changes making ratios of
means.

At this point I run a statistical test with multiple hypothesis
correction
and then do data mining based on clustering, annotation and so on.

The lists I produce for the users with 'candidates genes' has also an
indication of fold changes that users try to biologically validate.

If the data were always very reproducible, arithmetic means and
geometric means should return a similar result, but this is not always
the case.

 From all this my doubts.
As you can see I use means at two step:

1) limiting step -> to filter out not changing genes.
Could this be a wrong approach? But I noticed this could give better
results when you apply statistical tests.

2) estimate of observations -> to give our user an 'indicative measure'
of fold changes that they should validate. It would be great to chose
the
'nearest to biology'.

Thank you

Regards