[BioC] Quantile normalization vs. data distributions

Stan Smiley swsmiley at genetics.utah.edu
Fri Mar 12 00:07:08 MET 2004

Greetings,

I have been trying to find a quantitative measure to tell when the data
distributions
between chips are 'seriously' different enough from each other to violate
the
assumptions behind quantile normalization. I've been through the archives
and seen some discussion of this matter, but didn't come away with a
quantitative measure I
could apply to my data sets to assure me that it would be OK to use quantile
normalization.

"Quantile normalization uses a single standard for all chips, however it
assumes that no serious change in distribution occurs"

Could someone please point me in the right direction on this?

Thanks.

Stan Smiley
stan.smiley at genetics.utah.edu