[BioC] data transformation

Rohit Ghai rohitghai at rediffmail.com
Wed Mar 17 16:12:42 MET 2004

hello all
I am trying to perform VSN normalization with one-color Codelink chip data.
after normalization in vsn i start getting negative values all over the
expression
matrix... this makes it difficult to get fold changes for the genes. how
can i get
around this problem ? I think its because the raw intensity values i get
from codelink
are a bit low. I also multiplied the raw data matrix by a factor of 2.
With the trasnformed
data matrix VSN did not give any negative values, but the boxplots
looked a little upward shifted
as compared to the non-trasnformed data. The final gene list that I got
(genes with a standard
deviation of more than 2 in any experiment) was the same both with the
raw data and with the
transformed data.. but I want to know if its alright to do this?
any ideas would be appreciated

Rohit