[BioC] SAM analysis question

Sun, Zhifu Sun.Zhifu at mayo.edu
Tue Mar 30 18:52:03 CEST 2004

Hi,

The similar problem has been reported several times at SAM user group email list at Yahoo (
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sam-software/). Unfortunately I don't know how you can retrieve them from so many emails. The program gives you very different results based on how you order your samples. If you try 1,-1,2,-2,3,-3,4,-4,5,-5 or something like that, you may get different results too. No one at the discussion group has given a good explanation of why the strange behavior happens. I remember one of the creators for the software responded with no explanation but only suggested users to increase their permutations to maximum possible. I ever tried to see if more permutations could get the problem away but never succeed because the program took forever to run if over thousand permutations were used. You may want to try R version of SAM to seen if there is the same problem.

Jeff Sun