[BioC] ebayes and identifying outlyingly large variances

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Mon May 10 10:28:46 CEST 2004

Dear All,

For a data set I am working on, besides ordering coefficients by "differential
expression", we are interested in getting a quick idea of whether the
variance of some genes is unexpectedly large.

I thought about applying the expression in p.10 of the tech. report version of
Smyth's "Linear Models and Empirical Bayes Methods (...)"
(http://www.statsci.org/smyth/pubs/ebayes.pdf),

where  s^2 ~ s_0^2 F_{d,d0}

For each gene, we can compare the error variance from the linear model with
the corresponding distribution from the above expression.

(in R, if lmFit in fit and ebayes in fit.eb:

p.vars <- pf(fit.eb$s2.post/fit.eb$s2.prior, fit$df.residual, fit.eb$df.prior)

)

Does this make sense?

R.

--