[BioC] Un-balanced dye-swaps and LIMMA

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Tue May 25 14:42:25 CEST 2004

Here is what I have been telling people about dye-swapping.  I would be
very interested if anyone thinks this is wrong.

The dye by gene interaction is due to the labeling chemistry.  Therefore,
unless there are big allelic differences between the biological samples,
dye-swapping should be done between biological reps.  Technical dye-swaps
are a waste of resources unless the cost of taking biological samples is
very high.

Regarding the qq plots - I am not sure what you are plotting.

If you are plotting the quantiles of WT vs quantiles of Treated, then the
QQ plot should be straight in the center, and curved at the ends.  The
curved ends are differentially expressing genes.  The curvature could be in
either direction depending on the thickness of the tails of the
distribution relative to the center.

--Naomi