[BioC] duplicateCorrelation

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue Nov 2 12:49:40 CET 2004

> Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 09:09:56 +0000
> From: Jason Skelton <jps at sanger.ac.uk>
> Subject: [BioC] duplicateCorrelation
> To: bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch
>
> Hi All
>
> running duplicateCorrelation in limma
>
> cor <- duplicateCorrelation(nwaMA, ndups=2, spacing=840, design)
>
> I have three arrays with the following design
>                   a  b  c
> Array 1     1  0  0
> Array 2     0 -1  0
> Array 3     0  0 -1
>
> The layout is:
> $ngrid.r
> [1] 12
>  $ngrid.c
> [1] 4
>  $nspot.r
> [1] 21
>  $nspot.c
> [1] 20
>
> the correlation returned is 1 for every gene on the array ?

Yes, this is correct.  It has nothing to do with your data but everything to do with the fact that
you have tried to estimate three coefficients using only three arrays.  In other words you have no
replication and no degrees of freedom to estimate standard deviations.  (You are effectively
trying to do three t-tests, but each one with only one observation.  Clearly this is not
possible.)

Is it possible that you actually have three replicate arrays (with two dye-swaps), in which case
the design matrix should have only one column:

 design <- c(1,-1,-1) ?

Gordon