[BioC] Limma with common Reference Design

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Fri Oct 8 18:30:44 CEST 2004

On Oct 8, 2004, at 10:57 AM, michael watson (IAH-C) wrote:

> Is this right?  From reading the examples, I think it is, but I am not
> sure what the advantage is of having the contrasts matrix as well as
> the
> design matrix, adding the contrasts matrix certainly gives me different
> results to just using the design matrix alone.  Hmmmmm.

Mick,

The answer depends on what you want to get?  I am assuming that you
actually want to have T1-T2, so you do need the contrast matrix.  You
don't get that quantity directly from the design matrix, so there is no
comparable answer using a design matrix alone as compared to including
a contrast matrix.  The first two coefficients for each should be the
same, though.

Sean