[BioC] Replace method, AffyBatch, pm or mm

laurent buffat laurent.buffat at it-omics.com
Wed Oct 20 11:14:17 CEST 2004

Hi,

Thanks for Raphael, Robert & Laurent for your answers. It helps me to solve
my problem:

I work with R 1.9.0 and affy 1.5.0, but:

Historically, to get a probe intensity of a probe set name, I used an old
"signature" of pm: pm( aBatch, aProbeSetName)

This is not supported any more with affy >= 1.5.0) and then you try to use
it you have this error :

#  R version : 1.9.0
> library(affy)
> package.version("affy")
# 1.5.0
> data(affybatch.example)

> psn <-  "A28102_at"
> chips <- c("20A","20B")

> pm(affybatch.example,psn) [, chips]
Error in .local(object, which, ...) : couldn't find function "multiget"

Because, I have write some code with this "old call" and I would like to
continue to use it and I not understood the "intensity method", I try to
correct these error and "manually" restore the "multiget" function

> source("/somewhere/multi.R")

With an old definition of multi.R and these definition use mget, but its
works (with warning) and I was able to get the "intensity" of a probeset in
a batch with the "old signature of pm" :

> pm(affybatch.example,psn) [, chips]
              20A   20B
A28102_at1  149.0 118.0
A28102_at2  143.5 124.8
A28102_at3  132.0 111.0
A28102_at4  130.0  98.0
A28102_at5  115.8 114.3
A28102_at6  131.0 143.0
A28102_at7  131.8 124.0
A28102_at8  140.0 129.0
A28102_at9  122.0 172.0
A28102_at10 133.3 178.0
A28102_at11 136.0 145.8
A28102_at12 123.0 138.0
A28102_at13 132.5 131.0
A28102_at14 130.0 113.8
A28102_at15 125.0 119.0
A28102_at16 133.5 164.0
Warning message:
'multiget' is deprecated.
Use 'mget' instead.
See help("Deprecated") and help("base-deprecated").

And so, I continued to use it. That I have not understood, and I apologize
for this, is that with the new version of affy, I have to use "intensity"
and ProbesIndex do to what I try to do :

Instead of "pm(aBatch, aProSetName)" to get or replace intensity of probes
of a probeset in a affybatch, I have to use Intensity & probesIndex :

>xi <- intensity(affybatch.example)[
indexProbes(affybatch.example,"pm")[[psn]],chips]

instead of

> xi <- pm(affybatch.example,psn)[,chips]

And to REPLACE :

>intensity((affybatch.example)[
indexProbes(affybatch.example,"pm")[[psn]],chips]) <- NA

Instead of

>pm(affybatch.example.psn)[,chips] <- NA

Thanks again for your help and sorry for the confusion.

Laurent Buffat