[BioC] Re: [S] Error in clustering procedure

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Tue Sep 7 21:17:27 CEST 2004

Dear all

First of all, I want to apologize to Prof. Ripley, since I forgot
to ask him first for permission to publish his comment.

Personally, I agree that this would be useless, as Prof. Ripley
has already told me some years ago. However, almost everybody
still seems to do it and publish the corresponding results.
Companies such as Spotfire are proud that you can do hierarchical
clustering with more than 20,000 genes.
I have never seen a publication where it was done differently.

I think that the bioconductor list would be the best forum to
discuss this issue, and provide solutions (besides the obvious
suggestion to filter non-varying genes).

Best regards
Christian