[BioC] memory management in Win XP

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 28 21:28:41 CEST 2004

Hi,
 This is an R question, not a bioconductor one, it is both covered in
 the FAQ and in some very extensive discussions on r-help (which is
 online and searchable), have a look there and I believe all your
 questions will be answered,

   Robert

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 02:23:15PM -0500, Kimpel, Mark W wrote:
> I am running into memory limits and have been unable to write the
> correct code to increase the allocation size. Below is my output. I am
> currently running Windows XP with 2 GB of RAM. Windows Task Manager
> tells me that I have over 1GB of physical memory free so I should have
> plenty of room to increase.
>
>  > memory.size(max=T)
>
> [1] 126066688
>
> > memory.limit()
>
> [1] 1073741824
>
> > memory.size()
>
> [1] 126033080
>
> > memory.limit(size=1024)  #Shouldn't this increase the memory
> allocation to 1 GB?
>
> NULL
>
> > memory.size()
>
> [1] 126033080
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> Mark W. Kimpel MD
>
> Official Business Address:
>
> Department of Psychiatry
> Indiana University School of Medicine
> Biotechnology, Research, & Training Center
> 1345 W. 16th Street
> Indianapolis, IN  46202

| Robert Gentleman                 phone : (617) 632-5250                   |
| Associate Professor              fax:   (617)  632-2444                   |
| Department of Biostatistics      office: M1B20                            |
| Harvard School of Public Health  email: rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu        |