[BioC] Cy3 Cy5 mixup?

Matthew Hannah Hannah at mpimp-golm.mpg.de
Fri Apr 8 11:40:05 CEST 2005

Dennis,

I noticed this on a 'excursion' back to the lab, at first glance
confusing. Cy3 DYE is red and Cy5 DYE is blue, they often also have
packaging in these colours. However, the adsorption maxima are 532 and
649, and the florescence maxima are 570 and 670 respectively. Therefore,
Cy3 is detected as the GREEN CHANNEL and Cy5 the RED CHANNEL.

This is further confused as I've seen Cy Dye protein labelling and FISH
with Cy3 as the red dye. And I also guess that many people working on
data analysis haven't physically seen the dyes.

Hopefully, people read the product details and assign sample based on
the adsorption laser settings of 532 and 649nm rather than the dye
colour, otherwise there may be some interesting mix-ups.

HTH,
Matt