[BioC] where to start?

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Apr 20 15:22:03 CEST 2005

On Apr 20, 2005, at 12:06 PM, Malik Yousef wrote:

> Hello,
> I have data that been preprocessed to have the gene expression for each
> genes, where I have 19200 genes involved in the experiments and I have
> 186
> samples. The samples define 32 phenotypes (classes). I would like to
> find
> the significant genes among 10 different combinations of classes and
> then
> find out the intersection between those lists of significant genes.
>
> My problem was is how to read this simple data to any package of
> bioconductor, since I saw that bioconductor input format is more
> requiring
> the image format (or I'm missing some thing here). I want to read the
> input
> file where I want to keep track of the gene Id and the gene name.
> So please only provide me with simple example reading this input
> format to
> any basic package of bioconductor. For simplicit consider that we have
> table as fellow:
> GenId GeneName   Sample1   Sample2  Sample3  Sample4 Sample5
> ......SampleN
> Class            C1         C1       C2       C3      C4            C1
> 1       gene1    0.04       0.05     0.06     0.7     0.8  .......
> 0.9

You can look at read.table for reading your file.  You may need to make
some adjustments to your file, though, as read.table reads
tab-delimited data.  As Michael pointed out in another message earlier,
you will really benefit from using the original image files if you have
them.

You will probably benefit from reading:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-data.html#Spreadsheet_002dlike-
data

> Where the second row have the class labels, and then at the third row
> we
> have the gene expressions (just numbers!!).
>
> So I want to read this format to a specific bioconductor package (say
> limma/?) and start applying diffirent functions.

Have you read the limma user guide?  You will probably need to so that
you can determine how to manipulate your data into a format that limma
understands.

> So again I want to know how to read this file to the package???

For specific help on a function, type something like:

?read.table

For searching for help on a specific topic, you can try:

help.search('topic')

Unfortunately, a big part of using R and bioconductor is data
manipulation (moving from one format to another), which will require
learning some basic skills in R.  The Introduction to R manual is quite
helpful.  Reading at least part of it and going through the examples it
provides is pretty much necessary.

Hope this helps a bit.

Sean