[BioC] sam analysis question

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Apr 21 15:31:52 CEST 2005

lettieri at igb.cnr.it wrote:

>  I'm running SAM in R package, I am analysing two affy array's groups data (two
> conditions in 3 separate pairs). I am using SAM starting from a filtered list
> containing 3000 genes but I had some problems. Infact when I analyze the delta
> table I have the number of the false positives that drastically goes down.For
> example, I have:
>
>    Delta    p0  False Called   FDR
> 1    0.1 0.169 242.10   1259 0.033
> 2    0.2 0.169  31.10    272 0.019
> 3    0.4 0.169   2.50     23 0.018
> 4    0.5 0.169   1.10     13 0.014
> 5    0.7 0.169   0.15      3 0.008
> 6    0.8 0.169   0.15      3 0.008
> 7    1.0 0.169   0.10      2 0.008
> 8    1.1 0.169   0.05      1 0.008
> 9    1.3 0.169   0.05      1 0.008
> 10   1.4 0.169   0.05      1 0.008
>
> anyone else has run across this and can tell me what should be done to solve it?

There are two problems here. If you are doing a paired analysis, there
are only 2^3 permutations, so your null distribution will be very
coarse. You would probably be better off using a t-distribution as your
null rather than trying to permute (see the limma package). In addition,
filtering your data down to 3000 genes that (I assume) are more likely
to be differentially expressed is probably not a good idea. For a
permutation method I would tend to use all genes and filter based on
p-value and possibly fold change afterwards.

Jim