[BioC] R and BioC package installation

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Apr 28 15:18:21 CEST 2005

Gregor GORJANC wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Can someone point me to explanation/documentation why Bioconductor uses
> also some other "package installation" design in contrast to R. I
> appologize for ignorance, but I am just starting with Bioconductor and
> was surprised on this difference to pure R.

I think there are at least two reasons. First, the reposTools/getBioC
paradigm allows one to specify a 'theme' of packages to download, based
on the sort of analyses one might be interested in performing. For
instance, getBioC("affy") will get all the packages you will likely need
to use for Affymetrix chip analyses. AFAIK, there is no such
functionality in the standard install.packages(). Instead, you have to
seek out the packages you want to install from CRAN.

Second, rather than having all the packages in one big repository (a la
CRAN), the BioC repositories are separated out by function or type, so
installing a set of packages may require iteration through 11 different
repositories in order to get all the requested packages. I don't believe
that this was easy to do with the base installation functionality when
Bioconductor was first started.

Best,

Jim

--