[BioC] limma: positive correlation for dyeswap pairs

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Tue Aug 2 22:48:16 CEST 2005

I have 4 arrays in technical replicate dyeswap pairs.  Using
duplicateCorrelation (LIMMA) I got a positive correlation for the consensus
correlation and I cannot understand how this is possible.  There is really
no evidence of dye-bias.   But 13% of the noncontrol spots have correlation
higher than 0.9.  I have done extensive QC on these arrays, and I am happy
with the quality of the data.

I have attached a plot of one of the dyeswap pairs.  The left panel is M
array 1 vs. M array 2.  The highly correlated spots are indicated in
red.  The right panel is A array 1 vs A array 2.  The histogram is the
value of A for the highly correlated spots on array 1.

The correlation is even higher if I pair the wrong set of arrays together
i.e. the correct blocking is 1,1,2,2 but if I put in 1,2,2,1 for the
blocks, 20% of the spots have correlation higher than 0.9.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be happy to hear them.  The only thing I
can think of is dye bias.

Associate Professor
Bioinformatics Consulting Center
University Park, PA 16802-2111