[BioC] image processing -fixed xircle vs. adaptive

Sheetal Bhan sbhan at biochem.umsmed.edu
Wed Aug 3 20:55:14 CEST 2005

Yeah I still don't understand how dye swaps can show such strong positive correlation. I have now started using the genisphere dendrimer kit amd theoretically it should get rid of dye bias caused by direct incorporation methods.
I have some questions about image quantification. I think that most people prefer to use the adaptive threshold method for for quantitiating the images. If we were to use the fixed circle method,and select a diameter of the spot smaller than the actual spot then only the middle or the best part of the spot would be quantitated (not true in case of donuts). I am saying this because I have observed unequal hybridization of the red and green dyes near the boundaries  of the spot. Also, when  the software finds the spots that is deleniates the spots from the background the circle is not always placed correctly on the spot. Sometimes, the circle is a liitle off form the spot. THis happens because the arryas are not printed perfectly. And even after my best efforts to align the grid this happens. I don't think it is not  feasible to sit down and move all the circles to thir best place. In this case i think if I have chosen a fixed area slightly smaller than the actual area of the spot, it would be better than adaptive method. I may be completely off track here..I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sheetal Bhan
Graduate Student
Donald B. Sittman Lab
Dept.of Biochemistry
Univ.of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 North State Street
Jackson, MS-39216
E-mail: sbhan at biochem.umsmed.edu

>>> Naomi Altman <naomi at stat.psu.edu> 08/02/05 4:02 PM >>>
I have looked at the spots causing this, and I do not see evidence of dye
bias on the scale necessary to cause this.

--Naomi