[BioC] File permission failures when building Bioconductor on AMD64/Opteron

Michael Redmond redmond at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Aug 24 00:22:18 CEST 2005

I get the following error when building on Opteron:

mv: cannot create regular file
`/afs/.cs.wisc.edu/unsup/R-2.1.1/@sys/lib/R/library/reposTools/R/all.rda':
Permission denied

This happens with many packages associated in affy, but with reposTools,
no all.rda file is created. Then other packages fail to install.

Doing this same type of install on the same type of file system (afs)
with i386 Linux works fine.

Since the install operation for reposTools recreates the associated
directories, I can't preset 777 or 666 permissions in advance. However,
the permissions appear adequate for me as the owner to complete the
install.

It is not clear if this is a bioconductor problem, an R problem or a
problem with our AFS file system, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
M. Redmond
UW-Madison Statistics