[BioC] Limma toptable question

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Sat Dec 3 02:51:29 CET 2005

Dear Hua,

>Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:31:00 -0600
>From: "Hua Weng" <hweng at biochem.okstate.edu>
>Subject: Re: [BioC] Limma toptable question
>To: <bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch>
>
>Dear Bioconductor:
>
>There are two reasons that I think slr0146 shouldn't appear in top list:
>
>1) The average M value, 0.3261, for slr0146 is less than 0.5
> > MA.norm$M[MA.norm$genes["Name"] == "slr0146",]
> >      slide151120 slide151274-2
> > [1,]      0.3837       -0.2760
> > [2,]      0.3677       -0.2824
> > [3,]      0.3395       -0.2802

As Adai Ramasamy has already mentioned, a gene with a smaller fold change
may still appear high in the list if it also has a small standard deviation.

>2) There is only one full weight for slr0146, the other five spots have 0.1
>weight that means the other five spots have very low intensity in both
>channels
>
> > MA.norm$weights[MA.norm$genes["Name"] == "slr0146",]
> >      slide151120 slide151274-2
> > [1,]         0.1           0.1
> > [2,]         0.1           0.1
> > [3,]         1.0           0.1

The meaning of weights is often mis-understood. Because of the way that
weights are used in linear regression, the weights are used only as
relative weights for each gene. The weights only determine which spots are
given most weight for each gene. The weights are not used to give more
weight to one gene than another. For example, if you were to give all the
spots for one gene weight 0.0001, the result would be exactly the same as
if you had given all spots weight 1000.  In either case, all spots for that
gene would get the same weight. It is only the relative size, within any
particular gene, which counts.

Hence, the fact that most weights are 0.1 for this gene does not make it
less likely to appear high in the list. In fact, in the spot with weight 1
is very accurate, the variable weights may move this gene higher than it
otherwise would be.

>For slr1501 and slr1113, both of them have very high average M value, and
>all the spots for these two probes are full weights that means all these
>spots have strong intensity.
>
> > MA.norm$M[MA.norm$genes["Name"] == "slr1501",]
> >      slide151120 slide151274-2
> > [1,]       4.977        -4.874
> > [2,]       4.950        -4.155
> > [3,]       4.896        -4.649
>
> > MA.norm$M[MA.norm$genes["Name"] == "slr1113",]
> >      slide151120 slide151274-2
> > [1,]       2.350        -1.560
> > [2,]       2.258        -1.605
> > [3,]       2.398        -1.725

Again, you have not considered standard deviations.

If you have lots of genes with small fold changes appearing high in your
top-table, it is probably because not a lot of smoothing of the standard
deviations is occuring. (Look at fit$df.prior to see if this is so.) You
can improve this by giving more attention in your prepressing of the data
to stabilising the variances, e.g., by better background correction.

>Thank you very much for your quick response.
>Hua Weng

Best wishes
Gordon

[lots of code deleted]