[BioC] Limma and creating design matrices for complex loop designs

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Fri Dec 9 15:53:49 CET 2005

In an experiment with 3 or more conditions (treatments, levels ...)
it is usually necessary to have more contrasts than can be
accommodated by the design matrix.
That is why there is fit.contrast as well as lmFit.

My approach is to loop designs is to use single channel analysis.  It
is simplest to pick an arbitrary condition as the reference for the
design matrix, or to leave out the intercept and fit all the
conditions.  (This puts the condition mean in the "M"
matrix.)  Either way, the main purpose of this step is to get the MSE
for each gene, which is required for the contrasts.

Then I do all the contrasts of interest as calls to fit.contrast.

My paper on using single channel analysis for loop designs can be
found
at  http://www.stat.psu.edu/~zhao/bcc/respapers/AltmanInterface04.doc
but currently it does not discuss the limma implementation of this.

--Naomi