[BioC] Limma and creating design matrices for complex loop designs

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Dec 12 11:20:14 CET 2005

I think perhaps I was just getting confused.

The function modelMatrix() throws an error message unless the number of
columns you want in the design matrix is one less than the number of RNA
targets.  This led me to get confused as to how you could create all
contrasts of interest if one was missing from the design matrix.

However, if we have four RNA targets (R1-4) in a loop design, we can
choose arbitrarily to use one as the ref:

modelMatrix(Targets, ref="R1")

Then apply our contrasts of interest R2-R3, R3-R4, R2-R4 and then any
comparisons to R1 are simply R2, R3 and R4.... Correct?

Mick