[BioC] NCBI LocusLink -> Entrez Gene transition

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Tue Feb 1 05:55:05 CET 2005

On Jan 31, 2005, at 8:02 AM, Bubba Gump wrote:
> I have been hearing some news about the upcoming move from LocusLink
> to Gene from the NCBI
> (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=gene and a web
> article). How will this transition be handled in the BioC annotation
> libraries going forward?

The Bioconductor team is tracking the data transition.  Once the
transition is finalized, we plan to provide updated meta data packages
built against the new Entrez Gene database in a timely manner.  These
updated package will appear in the development branch of Bioconductor
and will not be back ported to the current released version.

Needless to say, we won't be updating the LocusLink meta data packages
after the database they are based on is no longer updated.

For those interested, here is link to NCBI's status page on the
LocusLink to Entrez Gene transition:
http://ncbi.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/help/LL2G.html

+ seth