[BioC] What do the results mean?

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Wed Feb 2 15:30:05 CET 2005

We seem to get quite a few questions of the following type:

>Are they the genes up/down regulated due to sample A or sample B?

As a statistician, I want to urge you to LOOK at your data before (or at
least along with) your p-values.  For at least a few of your significant
and nonsignificant genes, you should look at the normalized data and the
treatment means and make sure that the results are sensible.  I have been a
statistician for over 25 years, and I still do this with EVERY analysis I
do. Firstly, it helps you decide if there is something wrong with the data
- e.g. big outliers that are affecting the analysis, or missing values that
really should be there, or the wrong column of the data
selected.  Secondly, it helps you understand features of the analysis, such
as whether the genes have been up or down regulated, or why certain
interactions are important.  Finally, (and perhaps I am less careful than
others), errors often creep into my analysis steps and these are usually
obvious if I look at the data along with the results, rather than just the
results.  (For example, I once failed to notice that an investigator had
used 9999 as a missing value code - we had some highly significant results
due to including this as valid data.)