[BioC] RMA normalization, which samples should be normalized together

Dipl.-Ing. Johannes Rainer johannes.rainer at tugraz.at
Mon Feb 7 10:12:51 CET 2005

hi,
we are interested in the response of patients to a special treatment,
so we have patient samples before and after treatment. i have
normalized this samples in different ways using RMA. As RMA tries to
detect and correct probe effects by looking at the expresison levels of
the probes across all chips it is not surprising that the outcome of
the analysis differs depending on which chips i normalize together.
It is clear that i have to normalize all patient samples together if i
want to compare the expression values of the genes (lets say using
statistical tests). i am also analyzing the chips using the 'old
fashioned way' by using M and A values and i suppose it is not
problematic at all to compare M values of lets say patient 1, 6 hours
sample against 0 hours sample with those from patient 2, also 6 hours
versus 0 hours where the chips from the two patients were NOT
normalized together.

-now my question is if someone else has experience in what samples
could and should be normalized together with RMA. I saw that ther are
(big) differences in the regulation (M) values if i normalize two
different patients together compared with the values that i get when i
normalize only samples from the same patients together.

thanks in advance