[BioC] RMA normalization,which samples should be normalized together

Dipl.-Ing. Johannes Rainer johannes.rainer at tugraz.at
Mon Feb 7 15:48:00 CET 2005

thanks arne

i have no replicates, affymetrix is still a little bit expensive ;) .
all our chips were made by ourself and by looking at the histograms of
the raw values there are no differences at all. in the whole experiment
we made also two replicates, one with the same RNA, but different
amount before amplification (one time 5 mug, the second time 1 mug) and
the second replicate is RNA from the same patient, same time point, but
the RNA was extracted by two different people  not at the same time. if
i normalize only those replicated chips i see nearly no differences
between them (with a M (log2 regulation value) cut off of M=1 i get
about 30 probe sets that differ), but when i normalize all 80 chips of
all patients together the replicated chips show more differences... in
my opinion i have to normalize all patient chips together, exspecially
if i want to do for example a wilcox between all 0 hour and 6 hours
chips.
can you tell me a little bit more about the linear model you have used
to merge the results?

regards, jo

Quoting Arne.Muller at sanofi-aventis.com: