[BioC] normalization

Paul Mack paulmack at arches.uga.edu
Mon Feb 21 22:44:22 CET 2005

Dear Bioconductor:

I have a question concerning normalization of data from Affymetrix
Drosophila chip .cel files. This is a general question about how to
normalize over multiple treatments. I have data from multiple (4)
treatments with 3-6 biologically independent arrays for each treatment. I
also have 5 biologically independent control arrays -- the same 5 arrays
serve as controls for comparison to each of the treatments. I have used RMA
to compare each treatment separately against the controls to determine
genes whose expression levels change significantly under each treatment. As
a result, I normalized each of the four treatments to the controls
separately -- that is I did four separate normalizations with the one set
of controls and one set of treatment arrays. Would it be more appropriate
to normalize all of the the experimental arrays in the analysis to the
controls at once rather than separately, one treatment at a time (as
described above)?

Many thanks.

Paul Mack, Ph.D
Department of Genetics