[BioC] LIMMA - timecourse and direct comparison exp. design

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Feb 23 14:02:35 CET 2005

> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:01:42 -0800
> From: Federico Scossa <fscossa at pw.usda.gov>
> Subject: [BioC] LIMMA - timecourse and direct comparison exp. design
> To: bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch
>
> Hi all !
> I posted a message several days ago but I didn't get any answers. So I
> assume that the time effect in a direct comparison exp. design (across
> multiple timepoints) is non-estimable.
> Is there anyone able to confirm my assumption?

The time effect is not estimable using log-ratio analyses.  You can only estimate the time effect
using a single channel analysis, for example using the function lmscFit() in limma.

A section on single channel analysis was added to the limma User's Guide in version 1.8.19,
available from http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/limma

Gordon