[BioC] selecting probe set from expression matrix

Rhonda DeCook rdecook at iastate.edu
Sat Feb 26 00:46:18 CET 2005

srini,

It seems like there's a lot of ways to pull-out information for a specific gene
depending on the type of object you're working with.  The vignettes should help
you here.  Once you're working with a matrix like 'ex.data', a not so elegant
way is by getting the probeset names with...
> dimnames(ex.data)[[1]]

Then you can pull out the rows(genes) you want from the expression set using a
boolean vector:
> ex.data[as.logical(dimnames(ex.data)[[1]]=="267644_s_at"),]

This should give you the expression measure for each chip at the given gene as
a numeric vector.

To find out the type of an object called 'ex.data', type...
> mode(ex.data)
You can also ask if it is something, like...
> is.matrix(ex.data)

Rhonda