[BioC] Clustering and gene modules

Min-Han Tan minhan.science at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 02:03:04 CET 2005

Thanks for the reply.

Using a package to generate differentially expressed genes is
possible, but it makes for a large number of preliminary gene lists
(with 6 subtypes, 41). Dividing the lists into up and downexpressed
doubles the number of lists to go through. But I certainly agree that
this is likely to generate useful results.

However, I wonder if is it possible (non-statistician here) that
clusters of genes, insignificant by themselves individually, may
actually be significant in differentiating subtypes as a group? If so,
a strategy based on differential expression may leave out clusters of
genes that may actually be useful.

For my data, I was hoping ontological labelling of gene clustering
(only clusters significantly differentiating subtypes) would be a
viable strategy, since there seem to be some work in this direction
(goCluster and GeneXpress). I conceptualized the standard heatmap:
heatmaps depict gene clusters (with the usual clumps of red and
blue/green), some of these clumps, (or "modules") are clearly shared
across subtypes and some are unique to particular subtypes. Some
clusters of course are non-subtype specific (e.g. genes predicting
gender). The working strategy (which is certainly imperfect) is that
these clumps of genes mean something since they are co-expressed.

Thank you! I appreciate your advice on this.

Min-han