[BioC] A question about Limma

Fangxin Hong fhong at salk.edu
Sun Jan 2 23:05:15 CET 2005

Hi Bioconductor users;
I have a general question about limma model.
In limma package, usually one linear model applies to all genes, and error
variances from all genes are modified simultaneously. What if some
factors, for example, one main effect, is only significant for some genes.
Then if we want identify genes based on the significance of another main
effect (of interest). What is the best way to do it? Currently I juse
leave this factor in the model which is applied to all genes, but this
might under-estimate the total number of genes on which the effect of
interest is significant.

I am sorry if this question has been asked/answered here before, I
wouldn't find it through searching the archive. Any comment, suggestion or
experience is appreciated.

Fangxin
--
Fangxin Hong, Ph.D.